Earlier on Friday, Weinstein faced an additional sexual assault charge in his California case where he is accused of "sexual battery by restraint" against a woman at a hotel room in Beverly Hills in May 2010.
Harvey Weinstein has been hit with an additional sexual assault charge in Los Angeles. The new charge alleges that Weinstein sexually assaulted a woman at a Beverly Hills hotel on May 11, 2010.
Prosecutors didn't identify the victim but said she was first interviewed by law enforcement in October 2019 as a possible corroborating witness. Prosecutors said she recently provided detectives with information confirming that the assault occurred within the 10-year statute of limitation.
Weinstein's attorney and spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the LA case.
Weinstein already faces a series of charges in Los Angeles County involving two 2013 incidents; that trial is pending.
The site quoted a statement from Los Angeles Country District Atorney Jackie Lacey: "We are continuing to build and strengthen our case".
White House orders 3M to stop exporting respirators to Canada
Separately, Trudeau said Amazon Canada will manage the distribution of personal protection equipment to the provinces. He cited nurses that cross the border in Windsor on a daily basis to work in the medical system in Detroit.
The news comes when authorities announced that two other cases related to sexual charges against Weinstein had been dropped as the reported victims did not want to testify against the 68-year-old in court. However, he maintained his innocence and claimed all of his sexual interactions have been consensual. In March 2020, the movie producer was sentenced to 23 years in prison.
More than 75 women have publicly come forward accusing Weinstein of misconduct.
Harvey Weinstein arrives at a Manhattan courthouse for his rape trial in NY in February. But if he is convicted of these new charges, he could face up to 29 years in state prison.
An official briefed on the matter previously told The Post that Weinstein was diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 21 at the maximum security prison.
The D.A.'s office has filed a detainer with the prison system in NY, the first step towards obtaining his extradition.
Los Angeles prosecutors also initiated the extradition process from NY by requesting for the temporary custody of Weinstein, but due to the COVID-19 outbreak an estimated extradition date is "unknown".