Dozens of U.S. universities support challenge to Trump's order on foreign students

Share

The battle to overturn a new federal rule to deport worldwide college students forced to take all classes online grew Monday as 18 state attorneys general, including the one in Pennsylvania, 26 cities, including Pittsburgh, and a coalition of student government groups from 18 universities filed legal briefs in federal court.

The lawsuit which was filed on Monday, July 13, seeks to stop the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement from implementing the policy, as reported by CNN. Additionally, students at universities who are conducting in-person classes are not allowed to take more than one class online; students attending universities that are using a hybrid model can take more than one class online. Although Notre Dame will be holding classes in-person this fall, the injustice of the policy compelled the University to join the brief.

ICE further demanded that educational institutions advise the federal government by July 15 whether they intend to offer only remote courses in the fall semester, and to certify by August 4 for each of the institutions' worldwide students that the student's upcoming coursework this fall will be in person or a "hybrid" of in-person and online learning in order to maintain their visa status.

DePaul declined to make the student available for an interview.

Last week, he said of Harvard's move to online classes: "They ought to be ashamed of themselves".

Sounds Like Samsung Will Stop Including Chargers with its Phones
In such cases, consumers may prefer buying a charger separately, while the charger in the retail box might go unused. The removal of chargers from phone bundles will greatly impact the companies that supply the chargers to Samsung .


The government agreed to rescind the guidance to resolve a lawsuit filed by Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The U.S government has been trying to get schools and universities to reopen by autumn.

The brief argued that requiring worldwide students to take in-person classes to remain in the U.S was counter to public-health interests, as it may encourage universities to continue potentially harmful on-campus learning, and placed significant strain on local economies already suffering losses from COVID-19.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel is joining 17 other states that are suing the Trump administration over a new policy that could prohibit thousands of global students from studying in the USA this fall.

In ICE's announcement, the federal law enforcement agency under the US Department of Homeland Security said, "active students now in the US enrolled in such programmes must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status". Stanford previously joined over 50 other universities in an amicus brief backing the suit, which will be heard on Tuesday by a federal judge in Boston.

Share